For those of you that don't know the English Defense League or EDL are a group who's sole ambition is to erase Islam from England. Claiming that this is a defense of England's sovereignty, national identity and beautiful heritage.
Well I am not quite sure where I shall begin my ruthless dissection, with the level of ignorance in that statement.
I don't need to highlight to anyone reading my blog the illogical, fundamentally flawed and ignorant nature of a racist ideology. I take it for granted that for at least the few people who may come on here to read my views do so knowing and fully understanding me. Or as a bare minimum having had me reel off my opinions on such matters after a few pints of Thatchers. Therefore the EDL to claim that these "policies" have any credibility is a farce and a monumental error. What these words are, that they flaunt under the banner of politics for a better England, is the thoughts of a few ageing middle aged men. Men who after trying to vent their aggression on Pakistani twelve year olds in the 80's, when they needed a scapegoat for their inability to find work, are now finding their sons have the same problem. Once again with unemployment on the rise, people too proud to criticise themselves, seek to demonise a minority.
Anyone else getting a bit bored with their lack of originality?
Although we have to admit that Islam was the obvious scapegoat. Al Qaeda's association with Islam made mainstream Islam a target so easy to demonise it must have made the EDL visibly salivate. But as such to claim that Al Qaeda's views are like that of mainstream Islam is similar to claiming that I am a Nazi down to some rock hard evidence...I and Adolf Hitler have both wore shoes at least once in the past...
So with the presence of the EDL now announced in Leicester for early February I am presented with the opportunity to protest. To stand for what I believe is right and just and to uphold my moral code for which I live every second of my life because I am proud to do so.
But what of my fellow protesters? Will they do the same? Will there be many? The EDL are famous for their violence as well as their quite remarkable levels of ignorance. They will arrive in great numbers, their enemy clear to them, testosterone running high, a formidable opponent. Especially to someone with my delicate frame...
So the first question to ask is do I really believe that there will be none among those that gather to appose racism on the day, that wont have their own thirst for violence. I doubt it. People are right to be angry, they can no doubt see in the brush stroke of this group the same driving force of racism that will have been present in any racial or religious discrimination they have ever received themselves. So whilst acknowledging the presence of a violent force on the side of the opposition I must also be mindful of a similar beast on my side of the chasm.
I feel that violence on the side opposing racism simply can't be present. There must not be pictures strewn across the papers of EDL fists meeting those of UAF supporters. Not that I advocate standing idle whilst you are beaten purely for exercising your right to protest. But I make this plea to those attending to let that only be the case because of failed policing, not due to someone poking the metaphorical lion with a stick through the bars of a frail wire cage.Because those doing so will be responsible for a victory for the EDL.
Secondly, in spite of the dangers, I ask protesters to be bold, be brave and proud to uphold these beliefs. There are worse times ahead for the battles against discrimination. This is not as bad as it gets. So get the thirst for activism and the deep sense of moral reward that is their for all who attend to receive, at least while the numbers are still minimal. There are patterns in history and adding that to the frequent extremes we witness as a result as of cultures crashing together on all fronts, we would be childish to assume that these ill informed and shameful 'representatives' for England are the worst that racism, as the evil and cowardly beast that it is, has to throw at Leicester.
So when the EDL step off their coaches, be there. But represent a self aware, humble, and better educated body of people that are unified by their love for a humanity we all deserve and frankly, will give all that we have to create and defend.
I hope I see you there x
No comments:
Post a Comment